Sunday, August 11, 2013

THOSE LAZY, HAZY, CRAZY DAYS OF SUMMER



Well, here we are in the middle of August.  Labour Day is not too far away and after Labour Day comes fall.  But we’re not done with the sun just yet.  This time out, we’re asking you to guess the name of the song that the following ‘summer’ or ‘sun’ lyrics come from.  All of these songs were Top Ten, so you have a good chance of getting them correct.  Ready...set...go!    

QUESTIONS

1.  This Canadian superstar had a Top 5 hit with this song in 1985.  Can you guess the  
title of this song from the following lyrics?  “I got my first real six-strong.  Bought it at the five-and-dime.  Played it ‘til my fingers bled.  It was the…”.  
      
2.  In 1991, this future movie star hit # 4 on Billboards’ Hot 100 chart with his then musical partner.  What’s the name of this ‘summer’ song from these rappin’ lyrics?  “But what about the groove that soothes, that moves romance.  Give me a soft subtle mix.  And if it ain’t broke, then don’t try to fix it.  And think of the summers of the past.  Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast…”     
                
3.  In 1958, this song went Top Ten for the man who wrote and performed it.  It’s since been successfully covered by many artists, including The Who.  A sample of the lyrics are: “I’m gonna raise a fuss, I’m gonna raise a holler.  About a-working all summer just to try to earn a dollar.  Everytime I call my baby and try to get a date.  My boss says, ‘No dice son, you gotta work late”.  Sometimes I wonder what I’m gonna do…”.     
                   
4.  A duo originally from Texas took this next ‘summer’ song into the Top Ten in 1972.  Their first names are Dash and Jim and they charted quite a few hits during the ‘70’s.  What’s the name of this hit?  “See the curtains hangin’ in the window.  In the evening on a Friday night.  A little light a-shining through the window.  Lets me know everything’s alright.”   
    
5.  This singer/songwriter/actor charted 33 songs on Billboards Hot 100 singles chart.  That includes four # 1 hits.  His real name is John Deutschendorf Jr.  His first # 1 in 1974, had the following lyrics.  Can you name it? “If I had a day that I could give you.  I’d give to you a day just like today.  If I had a song that I could sing for you.  I’d make a wish for sunshine all the while.”    
     
ANSWERS

1.  Bryan Adams and Jim Vallance co-wrote Summer of ‘69”.  It climbed to # 5 on  Billboards’ Hot 100 chart in 1985 and was included on Adams’ forth studio album, “Reckless”, also released in ‘85.    
2.  “Summertime” is the name of the song we were looking for.  Will Smith and his then musical partner Jeff Townes aka D.J. Jazzy Jeff & The Fresh Prince had a # 4 hit with the song in 1991. 

3.  In 1958, Eddie Cochran had a Top Ten hit with “Summertime Blues”, co-written with his manager, Jerry Capehart.  It peaked at # 8 in September of that year.  During a British tour in April of 1960, Cochrane was killed in a car crash.  He was only 21 years old.  In 1968, Blue Cheer covered “Summertime Blues”, taking it to # 14 on the singles chart.  The Who had a # 27 hit with their version in 1970.  Country star Alan Jackson took his “Summertime Blues” cover to # 1 on Billboards’ ‘Hot Country Singles’ chart in 1994.   

4.  “Summer Breeze, makes me feel fine.  Blowin’ through the jasmine in my mind”.  The song is, of course, “Summer Breeze”, written and performed by Jim Seals and Dash Crofts aka Seals and Crofts.  It peaked at # 6 on the summer of ’72.  Interestingly, all three of Seals and Crofts Top Ten hits, “Summer Breeze”, “Diamond Girl” and “Get Closer” all peaked at # 6.     
    
5.  John Denver was the singer/songwriter/actor.  1974’s “Sunshine On My Shoulders” was the # 1 song in question.  His other three # 1’s were “Annie’s Song” (1974), “Thank God I’m A Country Boy” (1975) and “I’m Sorry” (1975).  Denver died in October of 1997 when the experimental plane he was flying, crashed into the Pacific Ocean.  As an actor, Denver’s most famous role was in “Oh God!”, co-starring George Burns.   

No comments:

Post a Comment