International singing superstar Shania Twain (born right here in Canada), recently donated four hundred thousand dollars from her charitable foundation to the Sir Winston Churchill public school in Brampton for an enrichment program for kids at risk. The program, which is in partnership with the Peel District School Board, will see $100,000. a year for four years go to free tutoring, healthy snacks and recreational activities. The school had had several tragedies in the past year, including one ten year old child who died in a housefire and a Grade 4 student who was shot in his home. So to salute Shania’s generosity, all five questions this time out are all about her. During her career, Shania has sold more than 40 million albums worldwide and is ranked as the 10th best selling artist (according to Nielsen Soundscan sales records). Shania will be performing in Las Vegas starting on October 8th.
1. This should be easy for any Shania fan. What is her real name (aka her birth name)?
2. Shania and her former husband ‘Mutt’ Lange, created many musical masterpieces together before their divorce. What is Mutt’s real name? (His last name really is Lange).
3. What 1998 Shania Twain # 2 hit are the following lyrics taken from? “Looks like we made it. Look how far we’ve come, my baby. We mighta took the long way. We knew we’d get there someday.”
4. In which one of her songs does Shania mention Brad Pitt, Elvis, Captain Kirk, John Wayne and Tarzan? Is it: a. Any Man Of Mine b. That Don’t Impress Me Much c. I’m Gonna Getcha Good!
5. Shania Twain has won many awards. How many JUNO awards does Shania have? Is it:
a. Six b. Nine c. Twelve
1. Shania Twain’s real name is Eilleen Regina Edwards. She was born in Windsor, Ontario to Sharon and Clarence Edwards. Her parents divorced when Eilleen was two. Her mother moved to Timmins and later married Jerry Twain, who adoped Eilleen and her two sisters, Carrie Ann and Jill. After signing with Mercury Records in Nashville in the early 1990’s, she dropped the name Eilleen and became Shania Twain.
2. Mutt’s real name is Robert John Lange. His writing and production credits on albums usually reads: Robert John ‘Mutt’ Lange. ‘Mutt’ was born in Zambia, South Africa on November 11th, 1948. Besides Shania, ‘Mutt’ has produced million selling albums for AC/DC, Def Leppard, The Boomtown Rats, Bryan Adams, Foreigner, Maroon 5 and Nickelback among many others. ‘Mutt’ and Shania were married from 1993 until 2010.
3. It’s “You’re Still The One”, a # 2 hit (for 9 weeks) in the spring of 1998. It was Shania’s highest charting single. Her other two Top Ten songs that charted on Billboards’ Hot 100 are: “From This Moment On” (# 4 in 1998) and “That Don’t Impress Me Much” (# 7 in ’99).
4. The correct answer is b. “That Don’t Impress Me Much”. In the middle of the song, Shania sings “Okay, so you’re Brad Pitt. That don’t impress me much.” Later on, she sings, “Okay so what do you think, you’re Elvis or something. That don’t impress me much.” On the fade out of the song, Shania says: “You’re Tarzan. Captain Kirk maybe. John Wayne. Whatever!”
5. That would be c. Twelve. Shania has won 187 awards so far, including those 12 JUNO’s, plus 5 Grammy Awards, 27 BMI Songwriters awards and many others. She also has a star on both the Hollywood Walk of Fame and Canada’s Walk of Fame.